Outrage and demands for answers about the attack on an American diplomatic compound in Libya intensified last week after Joe DiGenova, a former U.S. attorney currently representing a key Benghazi whistleblower, said in a radio interview that around 400 surface-to-air missiles presumably meant for Syrian rebels were stolen by some “very ugly people.” As fears grew that the advanced weapons could be used by terrorists to bring down airliners, calls for impeaching Obama over a wide range of Benghazigate-related crimes escalated, too.
Even before the latest news, numerous major controversies were swirling around the administration over the deadly attacks — the brazen lies that followed the assault, the conditions that allowed the killings to happen in the first place, the alleged unlawful transfer of U.S. weapons to terrorist groups in Syria, and more. In terms of trafficking weapons to Syrian “rebels,” even the establishment press has finally come to the conclusion that the U.S. government was indeed running guns from Benghazi. The New American has been reporting those allegations since shortly after the attack.
Now, however, the existing scandals are expanding, even as fresh ones are added to the list. Among the most serious: Explosive public statements made by the lawyer representing key Benghazi whistleblower Mark Thompson, the deputy assistant secretary for counterterrorism who testified about the attack before Congress earlier this year. Speaking to WMAL Mornings on the Mall in Washington, D.C., last Monday, DiGenova, the prominent attorney, offered a series of accusations and claims that made headlines around the world.
"We have learned that one of the reasons the administration is so deeply concerned, we have been told that there were 400 surface-to-air missiles stolen," DiGenova said about the attack, citing intelligence sources that have come forward to share information since DiGenova and his attorney wife started representing Benghazi whistleblowers. "The biggest fear of the intelligence community is that one of these missiles will be used to shoot down an airliner."
According to DiGenova, the information was provided by "former intelligence officials who stayed in constant contact with people in the special ops and intelligence community." He added that "it is pretty clear that the biggest concern right now is that 400 missiles, which have been diverted in Libya and have gotten into the hands of some very ugly people. And they are worried, specifically according to these sources, about an attempt to shoot down an airliner."
Click here to read the entire article.